Tuesday, September 18, 2007

Conservapedia? Are you kidding me?




Okay, so I was at work this afternoon and my boss thought she should show me an interesting wiki her and her husband stumbled across this weekend. It's called Conservapedia. This wiki is exactly like wikipedia except it's meant for "conservative people." Supposedly wikipedia has become too much of a liberal wiki, so a group of republicans decided to start their wiki that is more conservative.

It's pretty crazy, on the home page it says in huge letters..."Welcome to Conservapedia! A Conservative Encyclopedia You Can Trust." The word conservative is linked to the page of the definition of conservative. They are trying to make it known that if you are conservative then you are obviously "trustworthy" and that this is the wiki you can "trust."

To give you guys an example of how conservative it really is, check out this definition from the wiki, "Homosexuality is an immoral sexual lifestyle between members of the same sex. It is more than simply a sexual act, it is going beyond the boundaries that God has setup for marriage; one man and one woman." Can you get more conservative then that? I didn't think so.

I think this was just bound to happen, the battle of the wikis! Wiki's are becoming quite the new thing, more popular as each day passes. I'm not a big fan of Conservapedia, but it just shows that anyone and everyone can start their own wiki and state their beliefs.

I just thought this was interesting so you guys should check it out!

4 comments:

Ayysita said...

Well that is pretty pathedic. However, it is legal. It is against the law to write hurtful or demeaning ideas that promote hate crimes. Sites like these utltimately ruin wikis for everyone. It's sore losers like "conservapedia" that have to come up with ridiculous concepts to accomodate their views.

Benjamin said...

I agree, even though wikipedia is a looser form of an encylopedia it should still be a trusted form of info-not bias.

Shane said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Shane said...

When I read things like this I can only ask the question, what is this world coming to? I use Wikipedia all the time, because it is quick, and does have valuable information. Never once has the thought ever crossed my mind whether it was a liberal site. Even if it is it is not like they are publicizing it like Conservapedia. I think that sites like Conservapedia are ridiculous! There is no need to be biased. Just do the job of acting like an encyclopedia and state the facts.