Sunday, September 30, 2007

Jackie Visit

I decided to write about our visit from the author of Citizen Marketers, Jackie Huba. Honestly, I wasn't sure how entertaining or interesting her presentation was going to be because some speakers can be pretty boring, but I think it turned out pretty great.

I loved the videos that she showed us in class, especially the chicken mcnuggets rappers. Who would have ever thought that someone who takes the time to rap about chicken mcnuggets from McDonald's? Then to find out that they don't even like McDonald's is pretty wierd. Jackie just gave this perfect example of how sites like youtube or myspace can really make a difference when it comes to social media. These two guys made a random rap about chicken mcnuggets, posted it on youtube, then were actually contacted to do a real commercial and get paid for doing it! Who would have thought it would turn out that way just by posting a simple little video on youtube?

Jackie did a great job of explaining topics discussed in her book and how Citizen Marketers are effecting the web and society outside of the web. I loved the example of the cable guy that fell asleep on the couch as well. I just wanted to share my thoughts about her presentation, it was informative and much more entertaining than I had expected.

Can't wait to read more of the book!

No comments: